Monday, September 28, 2015

Vessel Mini Lesson (Pit Fired Piece)


To create my pit fired piece I started out with a clay base, and then made a coil of clay that slowly wrapped its way up forming the sides of the little container. I smoothed it out some so that the coil isn't quite as obvious. The container isn't very big, so I'm not sure what I will use it for yet. To prep it for the fire I took some of the copper and wrapped it around the top of the piece after it had been through everything that Mrs. Sudkamp had to do herself. Then I added a bunch of different kinds of leaves around my piece until I felt I had covered it enough. Lastly I wrapped it up in the tin foil. The finished product turned out pretty cool, and I really like how you can see where the copper burned away on my piece. I thought that this style of work was very unique and different, and it is something I would be willing to do again. I am debating using it for my main vessel project, but I am not sure that pit fired is the look I am going for with that piece. Either way I really like this method and the final product it creates.

No comments:

Post a Comment