Monday, November 16, 2015

"Between the Folds" Documetary

I thought that this video showed a very unique perspective on origami, certainly one I've never thought of before. It made me realize that origami is so much more than just the little things that you learn how to make as a little kid. Here are some of the things that I learned:
     Origami is a metamorphic art form. I didn't know exactly what it meant for something to be a metamorphic art form, so I tried to relate it to something metamorphic that I do know about: rocks (because I decided to take APES and Nagel has a lot of rocks). A metamorphic rock is a rock that has undergone transformation by heat, pressure, or other natural agencies. I can see how this relates to origami because the paper undergoes a transformation through applying pressure to the paper to make it fold in certain ways. That is how I interpreted metamorphic art, and I think that metamorphic art sounds really unique.
     Le Crimp is a style of origami that was mentioned in this documentary that I found to be very interesting and unique. From what I saw in the documentary, and in looking up pictures online, Le Crimp appears to involve the paper having a lot more crumples, or crimps, in it that give the piece a more realistic look. Also sometimes the artist can blow into their Le Crimp piece to make it expand or suck air out to make it shrink, and I thought it was really cool how the artists could interact with their pieces even after they were done. Le Crimp is something I think looks really awesome, but I doubt I would ever have the time or patience to do it.
     Origami math is a real life application of origami that I never thought of before. Origami can be used to help explain math both on a basic and complex level. I thought this could be really helpful for some people who are better at learning visually. Math is a subject that visual learners could struggle in because it is hard to make math visual. So much of it is writing equations, and it is hard to make it stick for the visual learners. Using origami, students have a way to make math visual. This will hopefully help more people begin to understand math. 

No comments:

Post a Comment